Monday, June 25, 2007

A Full Plate

How much is too much?

That has been something that has plagued me for most of my adult life--just ask my wife. I like to dabble in several things at once which can make other things suffer. I used to bounce from project to project for my screenplays. Recently, I realized I should focus on one screenplay and get it finished.

Bouncing around the blogosphere though I have heard other screenwriters who do the same as far as working a bit on each of their projects. The temptation is there especially when a grand idea for one of the stories pops in my head at the most inopportune time (when isn't it?)

This last stretch here was the longest gap between my blog entries because I have been busy at work, working on an expanded version of a short I just wrote for MoviePoet (which I'll discuss more when the judging period is over in August.) and some stuff at home (relatives, pets etc)

My brain has been working on all these things so this blog suffered for a week or so because of it. And frankly I haven't had much to discuss since I have been so involved with this other projects. If it seems I have drifted too far be aware I will return but may not always been submitting posts here till I get back into that groove again.

I have seen other bloggers who have had life happen to them lately who too have gone from regular posters to becoming more sporatic.

Hope to have more soon--

SS

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe this will help -- maybe not. I didn't sell my first script until I STOPPED working on all the other scripts I was working on at the same time.

Go figure.

Unk

Anonymous said...

I am currently bouncing to and fro on three projects, one of them being a second ground up re-write of a quasi-horror script (which in itself represents three complete and somewhat different screenplays) but like you, I pick up a book about assasination death squads in South America and get pumped up about my spy story, a few weeks go by and I get a nightmare that makes me piss the bed so I write my horror one again haha

BTW word of the day is camiseta personalizata, someone should make a t-shirt out of that saying

Suburban Screenwriter said...

We don't want no stinking camistas personalizatas Rodrigo! (trying my best east LA accent)

Thanx Unk and MQ for the insight. Keep up the work on your sites...

SS

Anonymous said...

Likewise, I have a habit of jumping between projects.

I find the cause, however, is that I start one script, then become uninspired by the concept. I then go on to an older project or something new, until once again becoming uninspired, in which case I go back to the first script, read it, and react along the lines of, "Oh my God, this an awesome idea! How could I ever have abandoned this?" And so, suddenly, I become re-inspired.

This'll happen a couple of times usually before I complete a strong second draft. Not the best way to work, I surely wouldn't recommend it, but it works for me...