Friday, March 23, 2007

Gettin' Started

I am not in the middle of H'wood (or the state of Cali for that matter) and at this point in my life I don't know if I will ever be there professing a trade such as screenwriter or other means within the film biz. But I am just a middle class white boy who loves movies and right now writes screenplays as a hobby.

Okay wait that's gonna bug some people...I can feel the heat already. The important point is the RIGHT NOW. I'm gonna get heat from the artists who profess that this art of writing screenplays is more than that and probably some more heat from the everyday screenwriter professionals who work in the trenches of H'wood thinking I am debasing their work as just some stinking HOBBY. Mind you it is important to note that artists and the professionals are really the same thing but I'm sure each looks at the other differently.

But no offense to either. That was not my intent with any of these statements. They are both frakking right in their own worlds. I do think writing screenplays is an art and definitely more than a hobby.

So why a hobby for me?

Good question, but one I can't answer. Right now.

So it isn't just a trivial past time--I do take writing screenplays seriously.

But it isnt easy.


But that doesn't mean that it doesn't eat at me every day as I go to the job that came because of choices which did come before my love of movies and everything that goes with it.

This is a second attempt at a blog for me...I hope to keep at it since I am envious of the other bloggers who do. I have watched a few bloggers as per my bloggers list. I haven't been as successful or perhaps as knowledgeable as they have been. But I think, like them, I wanted to acknowledge my journey and along the way perhaps parlay something gained through my experience.

I know there are others out there like me. Finding the time to work out that one scene that one bit of dialogue that has been biting at their heels for days. Maybe not so much the same way I am thinking today. I do give high regard to those to fight the fight to bring screenplays their due in the vast monster we call H'wood.

But that is just not for me. Today. Right Now. Maybe tomorrow... I just like to write screenplays. I hope those who know what that means can feel what I am saying. Cause Now....

I'm just gettin' started.

No comments: